Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: to be a better version of 2013

I was spoiled by 2013.

I finally got my shit together with work. I shared amazing new experiences with my equally amazing friends. I made great new friends and built promising relationships with them. My family is healthy, happy, and very close. And after the turbulence that 2012 left me in, I found inner peace and a rhythm in life that made me feel very comfortable.

Not to mention all the Gucci, Chanel, Louboutin, and Hermes. But we all know that all that shit is just frosting.

As the confetti fell abundantly all over the carpet in our quaint Little Tokyo apartment last night, I started to reflect on my expectations and goals for 2014.

A risky business.

I was always one of the doubting Thomases when it came to expectations. Why set yourself up for disappointment?

But I think the key is to surround yourself with the right people, and most importantly, to have the right perspective and attitude.

One of the key things that I learned from the Firm is that the minute you're too comfortable, you're no longer developing and challenging yourself. Therefore, you should always feel slightly scared, slightly unfamiliar, and eager to learn more. Only then will you become a better version of yourself.

So 2014 starts with one of the most surprising decisions that has shocked many of my closest friends and family.

I am moving to San Francisco.

I have no idea what this adventure will bring - how I will adapt, the people I will meet, the life I will assume. But not knowing is the best part.

The attitude I have going into 2014 is absolute positivity. I will embrace all things with an open mind. I will do my best to always look on the bright side of things, to assume the good in people, and be a kinder, warmer person to those around me. And in the process, I hope to try new things, explore countries I've never been to before, and learn my ass off.

I know that some people may think that I'm this aggressively caustic person who uses the F-word too much (true, I do use the F-word too much). But if you get to know me, I'm actually extremely soft. And though I used to think it was a weakness to let this side out, I find that it makes me happier to show people that I have feelings and that I give a shit about you.

I have no idea what 2014 will bring, but I'm dedicated to making everyday count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment