Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chronicles of a Single Girl (Part 1)

I don't think I've been able to call myself single since 2007... and some people may argue since high school. As scary as it may seem, I decided to give it a try for a bit. Get my bearings. Figure shit out. And take the ten seconds it took to realize how much I fucking love my life.

Me: What's great about my job is that if I hate my client, or even if I hate my team, it doesn't matter. After the project is over, I never have to work with them again. But if I do like them, I have the opportunity to continue to work with them. But if you hate your co-workers, you're stuck with them for life.
T: It makes sense that you like that. It's exactly how you treat your relationships. That's probably why you refuse to get married.
Me: Shit... you're right.

The thing is, I know exactly how much it took to get to where I am now. The effort, time, sacrifice... the everything. A lot of it was luck, a lot of it was timing, but most of it was a well-fucking-orchestrated plan that despite a few obstacles ended up pretty kickass. And I'll be damned if someone tries to rain on my parade - and in the most extreme cases, make me feel guilty about it. Hate to break it to you, but I'm called the Ball Buster at work for interviewing candidates. And I love myself way more than I love my Firm.

K: You need to take time for yourself. Figure out what makes you happy. 

So now, I've built out a decision strategy that's been working really well for me. 
1. Get what I want: 
-- I want, I get, I conquer
2. See who I want
-- Consider yourself on a very short list if I actually spend time with you
3. Go where I want
-- Plans for 2013 so far: Vegas, Palm Springs, Miami, Europe... then maybe Asia
4. Be what I want:
-- Run 3x a week with a race at least once every quarter

And at the heart of me is a hopeless romantic who does believe that someone out there does exist who has a similar mindset to my own... who can hang with my crass sense of humor, read a leisure book and actually have an opinion about it, and love to try new things with an open mind... and also thinks I'm the shit and reminds me of it all the fucking time. 

Is that so much to ask? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment