Thursday, May 17, 2012

Craigslist People

In my past, I have used Craigslist to find roommates (some of the best ones I've ever had) and to sell shit I didn't think I'd ever sell (digital cameras way beyond their prime). Over the last few weeks, I've had to use it more than ever to sell off every single thing in my apartment. 

And let me tell you. 

I'm so f--king over it, I can't even... I'm so... it's awful.

My main qualm is the variety of users. A full motley of types. 

Hipster Harold: Needs a new bed, but will only buy used IKEA shit. 
Cheapass Charlie: Probably makes more money than I do, but refuses to pay over $10 for anything. Ever.
Nice Nancy: Thanks you for responding to her email, but never buys a thing.
Phantom Phil: Makes plans to come by, but never shows up.
Project Paul: He lives in the co-op and needs twine to tie shit to his Ford Focus.
Student Steve: Keeps insisting that he's poor, and ends up taking your toiletries for free.

I could go on, but it's actually making me mad to think about it. 

If I could go my whole life not having to sell anything on Craigslist ever again, I wouldn't miss a thing. Honestly, I've taken my Negotiations class. And I know when someone is f--king me in the asshole. And these Craigslist users have no mercy when it comes to psychologically toying with your compassion/emotions/whatever to get your shit for dirt cheap. By the time an actual interested buyer shows up, you're so relieved to have that human interaction and also somewhat eager to have this stranger out of your personal space that sure, $10 for that 47" LCD TV? You got it. 

Just two more days, and whatever's leftover is going down the trash chute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment